[dropcap]S[/dropcap]ometimes you're just fed up with what the franchise gym has to offer. You keep trying but every time you go it adds more stress. This isn't because your unmotivated or lazy, its because most franchise gyms lack what you really need.
It's happened to be me on countless occasions and it happens to the best of us.
Yet you continue to walk through those doors, disgusted by what you see. Not because it's a bad place but because it's just BLAH.
Your franchise gym stresses you out, but why?
As business professionals, we have a large deficit with our time. Time is precious to use. We rather be taking time nurturing our passions, spending extra time with the family, or even working. Yes, I said it, but some of us really love that. But what if a free gym membership was actually possible and results driven?
Here are 4 reasons why you need to cancel your gym membership:
1: Commute: You have to commute 15-30 minutes to get to the stinking gym. Not to mention your commute back home.
2: Waiting: You only have time to get to the gym at peak hours so you have to wait countless minutes waiting for machines. Do you know what this does to your intensity level? It ruins it completely.
3. Talking: A lot of people think that the gym is happy hour, or a social gathering. They stand around, chat and keep you waiting. Its even worse when they try to come up and talk to you in the middle of a set.
4. Financial: Gym memberships are getting cheaper, I'll admit, but think about this. The gas to get there, your opportunity costs and what your time is worth may be costing more than you think.
- Your time: $50 an hour (random example)
- Gas to / from the gym: $8
- Total: $58 per gym trip, excluding time spent at the gym and your membership cost
Franchise gym memberships not only take away more of your time but they also cost much more than you think.
If you feel you have no other choice because there's no smaller gyms around you, you're dead wrong.
Or maybe you think you can't workout at home because you don't have the right equipment. Again..dead wrong.
Free gym membership
First you need to cancel your franchise gym membership. I'll wait while you call…
Okay, now that you're back, lets get started. Working out at home can be the best workouts you've ever had - Tweet This. Especially since they're stress free and in the comfort of your own home. Better yet, it saves you A LOT of time than going to the franchise gym. And the best part is, is your home is a free gym membership.
To get started you only need 3 pieces of equipment.
1. Pull up bar - Make sure you get the ones that hang in the doorway. No hardware is needed.
2. Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells - Standard dumbbells can cost $1 per pound. So if you buy an 80 pound dumbbell you're going to spend $80ea. With the Bowflex SelectTech 1090 you get 850 pounds per dumbbell (not total weight, but for each dumbbell set configuration) for $274.50 per dumbbell. Thats $.32 per pound. A 68% savings.
Alternates: You can also opt for the smaller Bowflex SelectTech 552 dumbbells that can adjust up to 52.5 pounds per dumbbell, or you can use resistance bands.
The Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells may seem expensive but after you save money not going to the franchise gym your ROI can be as low as 6 months and you'll have more time to spare.
3. Stability ball -This will add variation to your workouts. I even use it as my office chair.
- Purchase a 45 centimeter stability ball if you are under 5 feet tall.
- Purchase a 55 centimeter stability ball if you are between 5 feet to 5 feet 7 inches tall.
- Purchase a 65 centimeter stability ball if you are between 5 feet 8 inches tall to 6 feet 2.
- Purchase a 75 centimeter stability ball if you are over 6 feet 3 inches tall.
For now, this is all the equipment you need to get started. For goodness sake, you just quit the gym. Give yourself a break and gradually learn this so you can be great at it.
You can workout in your room, kitchen, but I prefer the garage.
Enjoy a mixture of exercises using these 3 pieces of equipment . Focus on 30 minute high intensity workouts. And don't forget to walk more throughout the day. You'll soon begin noticing that your new "garage gym" is one of the best decisions you've made and the best part is, you're not going to sacrifice results.
What bodyweight exercises do you like to do? Comment below.