[dropcap]T[/dropcap]he easiest way to start walking more is by using a pedometer. Forget the ancient garbage, pedometers such as the Striiv Play are tools to keep you motivated. It not only counts your steps but it also does a lot of other cool things such as counting stairs, calories, distance and and an awesome congratulations when you burn a cup cake.
In order to achieve your fitness goals, you need to utilize a tool such as the Striiv Play to keep you on track. If you don't, you'll continue to be lost in your daily tasks and forget to get up and move.
This little gadget is discreet and adds some "play" to your day. The Striiv Play (affiliate link) is what keeps me honest with my walking goals.
What is a Pedometer?
"A pedometer is a device, usually portable and electronic or electromechanical, that counts each step a person takes by detecting the motion of the person's hips. Used originally by sports and physical fitness enthusiasts, pedometers are now becoming popular as an everyday exercise measurer and motivator." -Wikipedia
Striiv Play Pedometer Unboxed
Striiv Play is a small device almost the size of a quarter. Clip it or just throw it in your pocket and go.
Step by Step Set Up for your Device
- Charge your Striiv Play to 100%: The cord it comes with can be used in your computers USB port or you can use your iPhones USB Power Adapter.
- Download the app: Once downloaded, make sure your bluetooth is on.
- Turn on Striiv Play: Turn it on by pressing the scroll button (push down on the screen next to the pointy side). If it doesn't turn on insert a paper clip into the reset button hole. The small hole is located on the side of the device.
- Sign in to iPhone app: You can use your Facebook account or you can create an account with your email address.
- Enter height and weight: This will help calculate the calories you burn while walking.
- Invite friends: Here is the chance to invite friends to challenge you. Make sure you take advantage of this because it'll motivate you and it's just fun to have a little competition in your diet. Email me an invite!
- Pair devices: Launch Striiv iPhone app. Once launched, tap on the settings button and select the tab that looks like the Striiv Play. Then all you have to do is follow the instructions on the screen.
Striiv iPhone app
The iPhone app is a neat tool because it makes your device come to life. It involves you in every action you take.
If you slide your finger across the top green section it will take you to stairs climbed, miles walked, calories burned, and minutes of activity. This information is also displayed on your Striiv Play, but not as elegantly.
Their's 5 primary sections to the Striiv iPhone app:
MyLand is a section in the app where you can build a community of animals, plants and buildings. You can only build and plant if you walk. No LAZINESS people! You receive energy points the more goals you achieve which will in turn allow you to start creating a community. Once you build and plant you can start earning income which will help you buy higher priced items. You can also take MyLand Quests which is a particular challenge within MyLand. As you progress more territories will be opened.
Charts and Stats
The charts section is what keeps you motivated over the long run. It will show you your progress over the course of a week or month for steps, stairs, time, miles, and calories.
Trophies and Rewards
This is where you'll be rewarded energy points for walking more through the day. The more you walk, the more trophies you'll get. Striiv trophies and rewards come from:
- Beating your average
- +1000 steps vs. yesterday
- Walked the Golden Gate Bridge or across Rhode Island
- Burned a sundae
- And tons more
The red box on the bottom of the app will ask you to accept or reject a challenge . If you accept, you'll be rewarded energy if you win or you'll lose energy if you lose. There's a mix of challenges from walking more in a short period of time to climbing more stairs throughout the day.
Adding friends will undoubtedly make you walk more. There's a leader board and really, who wants to be last? It forces you to compete and to get up and move. Don't let sitting at your desk all day stop you. Get up every 55 minutes and MOVE.
The Striiv Play (affiliate link)pedometer is an excellent tool to get you moving. It uses a mixture of incentives from role playing, rewards, and competition. The best part is its sleek, small, portable and won't take up much of your time.